SCHOOL COUNSELOR SURVEY
This survey seeks to provide the DoD with reliable information regarding the views of school/guidance counselors working in a high school setting. This information helps the Services understand the role school/guidance counselors have in young person’s education and career planning and decisions.
The results of this study will be used to improve current programs intended to help students learn about the Military as an option as they plan for their life after high school.
School Counselor Survey FAQs
- How was I selected to receive the School Counselor Survey?
Your name and address were drawn randomly from a list of school/guidance counselors working in a high school setting in the United States.
- I was not sent a survey, but I would be happy to complete one, and I think you should be interested in my opinion.
We randomly selected school/guidance counselors working in a high school setting from across the Nation to complete the survey in order to ensure we hear from a wide variety of school counselors’ perspectives. If we send copies of the survey to people who request a copy, we would skew the selection and make the results less representative.
- I am the person listed on the survey materials, but can I give the survey to someone else I know who might be more interested?
We would prefer that you complete the survey. Individuals were selected randomly from a list of school/guidance counselors working in a high school setting in the United States to ensure we are able to hear from a wide variety of school counselors’ perspectives. Your participation in the school counselor survey can help us meet this objective.
- I received $2 with my survey. Do I have to return it if I decide not to complete the survey?
No, the $2 is merely a small token to thank you for considering participation in the survey. Although we would find it very helpful to hear your opinion, if you would prefer not to respond, please send the blank survey back in the postage paid envelope and keep the $2.
- I received a postcard reminding me to complete the survey, but I can't find a copy to complete. Can another one be mailed to me?
Yes, you can request another copy by sending an email to email@example.com.
- I received a survey and have completed it, but the return envelope is missing. Can another one be mailed to me?
Yes, you can request another envelope by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or you can just mail your completed survey to:
2022 School Counselor Survey
250 W. Old Wilson Bridge Rd. Suite 340
Worthington, OH 43085-5200
- In the survey, why are responses for "Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin" separate from "Race"?
The United States Census Bureau designates Hispanic as an ethnicity, not a race. It is important that we understand how the people who respond to our survey compare with that of the U.S., as tracked by Census. In order to be able to do this, we have to ask our race and ethnicity questions the same way as the Census Bureau.
- Will my privacy be protected?
Yes, your privacy will be safeguarded in accordance with the Privacy Act of 1974 (Public Law 93-579). Only group statistics will be reported. Individual data will not be reported.
- I received a survey, but I do not work as school/guidance counselor in a high school setting. What should I do?
If you do not work as a school/guidance counselor in a high school setting, please answer “no” to the first question on the survey and return the survey in the envelope provided.
- I received a survey, but I would prefer not to participate. What should I do?
Although we would prefer that you help us by taking a few minutes to share your experiences and opinions, we also want to assure you that your participation is voluntary. If for some reason you prefer not to respond, please let us know by returning the blank survey or a note in the postage paid envelope.
- In the survey, why am I being asked to provide my email address? Will I receive unwanted emails from your organization?
We ask for your email address only if you wish to participate in an optional virtual interview (i.e., via phone or online) to gain further insight about school/guidance counselors and their interactions with youth regarding career and education decisions. If you provide us with your email, we will only send communications related to these virtual interviews. Your email address will not be connected to your responses; those two pieces of information will be immediately separated upon receipt of your survey.
- I received a survey, but I have a few questions before I decide to fill it out. Who can I contact?
If you have any questions about the survey items or the process itself, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.